Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Taking It Slow

Okay I'll admit it. I didn't get my sleep last night. Hockey playoffs began and the Wing's were playing in California. Short of going to the game which I wouldn't mind, I stayed up late to watch it. With the game not starting until 10:30 pm eastern, it doesn't end until about 1:00 am. That means if I am going to get up in the morning to work out then I will only get about 4 hours of sleep. So, I slept in. Shame Shame Shame.

Instead, I left work for lunch a few minutes early and hit the gym then. Due to the pain I felt in my knee yesterday, I figured that swimming would be a good cardio workout and give my knees the break they need. In my gym bag I always carry my goggles and a swim suit so that when I do make it to the gym and I'm not feeling up to it, I can always get a quick swim in.

With my swims this season, I've been working on my breathing. Never knowing what you will run into during the swim in a triathlon, I try to breath efficiently from both sides and not favor one side over the other. So my swim is spent breath from both sides equally. I started with 100 yds breathing bilaterally, rested for 45 seconds and swam 200 yds breathing half on the right and half on the left. nest was 300 yds split equally between right, left and bilateral breathing. The last 200 yds were split between right and left giving me a total of 800 yds in just about 18 minutes.

I noticed during my time in the water that I need to spend the next few sessions working on technique. I've swam that the current speed for a number of years and now it is time to improve the technique therefore improving the speed. Being able to breath comfortably from both sides is fine and will not suffer with extra work on technique. So after my interest in the hockey playoff is gone, I can swim in the morning before work and concentrate on drills.

My abs are feeling a little sore due to the work I am doing prior to getting on the treadmill. I am trying to follow the Legendary Abs II routine. This is a quick ab workout that only takes about 6 minutes to complete. With the back issues I've had over the years, getting ab working is crucial and this is the best focused set of exorcises that I've found to date.

My food intake hasn't changed as fast as it should, but I am going to be patient and take the time needed to make it. If I can change one thing a month then I'll be happy and this month I am going to concentrate on working out.

Live Beyond the Ordinary
   And
Live Without Limits

No comments: