Friday, May 3, 2013

Just Keep Going

Okay now we're up to five days in a row. How many times do you have to repeat a task for it to become a habit? I've heard as little as seven and as many as 21. I'm at 5 so I'm either almost there or just getting started. If I were to place a bet it would be that I am just getting started.

My walk today was outdoors again. Now that the weather here in the Midwest is getting warmer it is much better for my mood if I get outdoors.

I walked the same path as I did yesterday. Rather then listening or half listening to a podcast, I switched over to music with no intention of concentrating on the words. Instead I just took in the surroundings.

The trail is a two track for the most part with little single track side spurs. Being an urban environment, there are plenty of squirrels, birds and ground squirrels running around.  I can't count the number of times that something startled me as I walked by it. There are still a number of oak leaves on the ground that just amplifies any movement. Flowers are just now starting to bloom and I am having a hard time believing that earlier this week the trees were still in buds. Now the maple leaves are bigger then a silver dollar and is happened over night. It never ceases to amaze me what this warm weather can do. It won't be long before the view of the lake will be obscured by the leaves so I need to enjoy the view while I can.
The only thing that brought down my walk was that I turned my GPS watch off at the halfway point when I was thinking that I triggered a lap. Oh well, at least I know how far I went because it was an out and back walk.

After the walk I ran to the local health food store and got a green smoothie from their health bar for lunch. I am sipping from it as I write this post. This is one way for me to eat healthier. I anyone has suggestions of how to break away from the families normal foods and eat your own. The hard part is that I don't believe that we should be preparing multiple meals to be put on the table at one time. What one eats, everyone should eat. As it is, the kids eat differently from my wife and I and I don't want to add to that complexity. My only option may be that I just need to do it and not worry about it. Easier said then done.

I do believe that everyone should eat healthily, but for a time being, I am going to an extreme. Should I back that off and just prepare meals for my wife and myself that are healthy and not that extreme? If I answer my own question, it would be small steps are better then no steps so just back off for yourself and bring the others along. If we eat and healthy well balanced diet, then the kids will begin to emulate us and start requesting better food. I can't wait for that to happen.

Time to get back to the business at hand.

Live Beyond The Ordinary And Without Limits

No comments: