Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling

Well, I made it through building up the intensity for 3 weeks. Now I get to take it easy for a week. Well, not really take it easy; just back it down to where I was the week before last. All I have to say is that I didn't think I would make it, but my medium effort of a couple weeks ago, now is my easy effort. For the aging age grouper I am, being able to spend a half hour every day at lunch the progress feet great. In the past, I haven't taken the time to do it right.

This last weekend I started rolling my ITB. WOW that was painful the first couple of days. I have always suffered from knee problems and that was being attributed to all the basketball that was played over the years. After listing to a podcast that stated 90% of all runners with knee problems actually have a tight ITB, a foam roller became part of my home gym. The first morning my legs felt like I had received a message. The next workout was one of the best in a long time. Rolling is in the plan from here on.

A couple days before the roller arrived the workout was spent in the pool with one goal; LEARN TO FLIP TURN.. With the limited time and wanting to work it until my form deteriorated, I was able to get 15 -20 minutes of swimming in. So for the next 4 weeks, I am going to plan one swim session in a week for nothing but drills and flip turns.

A week ago there was a debate about wither to do another 4 weeks of base training of start with the speed work. Well, there is time and I haven't done it in the past, so the next 4 weeks are going to be more base training. If a sufficient base can be built it will help more in the long run and the speed work can always be done later. Besides, there is a greater chance to get injured with speed work especially if there is an insufficient base. I am not in this to set speed records or to win, the goal is to be healthy and enjoy life.

Here in the Midwest the weather is finally starting to warm up. Well it did a week ago and then the temperature dropped 20 degrees F for this week. The temperature is supposed to climb throughout the week so hopefully we can get the kids out in the jogging stroller on the weekends. This can only add to the time that I get out and get active.

SMALL STEPS are better then NO STEPS

No comments: