Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Where Does The Time Go?

Just yesterday, I swear that I was only a kid running through the cornfields near my home. Now I am an adult with two kids of my own. These two kids keep me moving when ever we get to spend time together. As most people know, being an adult brings with it all kinds of responsibilities, like a home, cars, and all kinds of bills that go with them.

Fortunately, my two kids are young enough that we are not running them all over the place to soccer, swimming, hockey and the likes. Well that was the case until recently. Now we have Soccer on Saturdays, and swimming on Wednesdays. My wife and I have decided that we will not prevent our kids from trying any activity and we vow not to push them into any either. But, there are certain ones that we would like to expose them to. As an example, learning to swim is a younger age is much easier then learning as a teenager or adult, so we are getting them involved in swim lessons. But, if after they learn to swim, they don't want to swim on a team that is fine with us. Actually that would be one less event that we would have to chauffeur the kids to.

It is my hope that by have the kids be active, I will end up being active also. There are many articles that state just the opposite, i.e. when adults are active, kids are active. Let's hope that we can feed off each other and all of us will be active.

Last weekend, we had a family fun outing. Where all four of us went sledding. Fortunately, we have a hill in our yard that serve well for just that purpose. Not having to load up a car, drive to a hill and compete with others for the ride of a lifetime was a godsend. That was until the kids got so excited that they were running all around the house. This was the second time that our oldest had been out there and after literally having to drag him in the first time, I knew that he was going to have fun. Our youngest though, is almost too young to start sledding. Mommy even got out there and gave it a go. When we were done, three of the four of us had a great time. The little one didn't enjoy having to ride on daddy's lap and going so fast, so he would have to be the only one that didn't enjoy it. Both my wife and I discovered muscles that we normally don't use and once again, the big guy didn't want to quit. I am sure that there will be more days like this ahead and as a family we will enjoy them together.

Back to my original statement, where did the time go? I have to believe that life gets in the way of living. Where are the times that we would just run out and do something like head up north for a couple days, go skiing, go to the beach, etc? Now to do any one of those things, it takes an act of congress and 3 weeks to formulate a plan of attack. why can't we just through a bag together and head off for an overnight excursion. Or just head out for an evening of wandering the trails?

I apologize to those (if any) that read my posts. This one has done more for me venting then you would believe. My advise to others on this is, don't make a big deal about where you go, what you do or where you stay. The point is to "Just Do It". By doing anything, your doing something. Take and leave the stress behind, enjoy the time with friends and family, and be active.

No comments: