Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year with a New Beginning

I apologize for not posting more frequently, that is if anyone actually reads my posts. I'll try to do better, as this is a way for me to log my workouts. I will also try to post my goals for the next 4 weeks very soon.

With the beginning of the year comes the beginning of the serious training. I have started a 13 week training plan for a 10k. The beginning of it calls for easy runs and a little cross training. So far this has not been an issue to get in. I am able to get on the treadmill for the runs and my bike is on a trainer for the cross training after the kids are asleep. This setup works very well. There are no weather concerns, I'm not running in the dark or dodging traffic, the hockey game is usually on the big screen so time really flies.

My only concern during the runs is my heart rate. My runs start with walking for 5 minutes to warm up. Then the run starts with my heart rate rather low. As the time ticks by, my heart rate gradually increases to above 90% by the end of the run. This may or may not be good. That is the question I am trying to get answered. My perceived exertion in not bad at all, I feel like I can still hold a conversation throughout the entire run. The plan is to give it another week to see if my heart rate settles down.

Someone has questioned if my heart rate monitor is working correctly. That may be the case, so if anyone has recommendation on a heart rate monitor that works well for triathlon training, please post a comment. I've never had one with a ton of bells and whistles, I'm not sure I would know what to do with a high end one if I had one.

A new approach to this year is calling for a new attitude. The first one that I am going to work on is a positive outlook. I catch myself complaining about the way things are or aren't all the time, even through small comments or jokes here or there. When this happens, I stop myself or remind myself to be positive.

Life is good when you make small steps instead of no steps.

No comments: